There's nothing quite like knowing you got Stuff Done, is there? I so rarely feel that way, or my "getting stuff done" feels more like running a million errands, or doing routine laundry and stuff, which isn't quite the same.
But! Today I:
1) Ran 3 miles with the dog, then walked my niece's two dogs for another 1/3 mile as part of my cooldown. Ok, the running was a routine thing, but at least I did it.
The rest of my day was spent doing yardwork that has needed doing for ages
2) Took the lawn tractor trailer, full of small and large rocks from the removal of some landscaping back in April, and repurposed them. The small rocks went around trees where their rocks had gotten thin, and the large rocks went to line the front walkway.
3) Went along the fenceline, twice, once with the dark gravel and once with the more decorative stone, filling in low spots around the posts and the fence itself.
4) With MiniPlu's help, spread more decorative stone around the back yard roses.
5) With Two's help, weeded, pruned and harvested the vegetable garden, which took ages. Ended up with a huge pile of weeds. Also, we're being snowed under by cherry tomatoes, and we're going to be snowed under by regular tomatoes probably just in time for us to go to Hawaii. :P
Yes, I bribed both kids with some money to help me, but it was definitely a worthwhile expense.
By the end of all that, I was in desperate need of a shower and a nap, and my back was killing me from the combination of shoveling heavy rock and weeding. But it felt so, so good to get that all done!
(Less successful: summer bbq at church. It was dry alllll day, and then rained right as food was about to be served. We ate in the Knights of Columbus meeting room in the basement of the church office. Our priest joked we were like the early Christians, hiding out in catacombs.)
Also done today: coaxed MiniPlu to whittle down her packing list because, for a 10-day trip, no, she does not need four black tank tops, 14 tops all together, two pairs of nearly identical brown sandals....
My other Maine niece is currently visiting with her two dogs and one of her best friends. While this means, yes, having houseguests yet again, this one - the younger sister of the one with the toddler - is really laid back, her dogs are well behaved, etc, so it's really no trouble to have them all here.
For your daily laugh: Funny tweets from parents about summer vacation